Sunday, February 14, 2010

A morning to remember

Scene 1 :

The turbulent winds roared angrily at the world. Water had frozen into small puddles of frosty ice. The sky was hazy and clouds seemed to be losing the battle with the rampant wind, scurrying for cover.It was seven in the morning and the small town of Cornelia in Georgia was witnessing one of its coldest mornings.

The downside was I needed to walk half a mile to my office. Now, don't get me wrong, half a mile is not a lot, and I am not pretending to make this a big deal, but hey, I was in the danger of being blown away much farther than half a mile.

I had two options: call or fold. I have this tendency to deal with life situations as if it were a poker bet. Calling here would mean walking the half mile and folding would mean calling the guy. Now I was feeling adventurous. Biggest mistake of my life. You know what I did, so let's cut to the walk.


Scene 2:

There was one more thing. My brother left his hairspray at my place. Of course, I needed to try that out. Bad idea again ( This meant I did not cover my head ). As I started walking, I realized I was not feeling cold.I was on fire. Cold, icy winds blasted on my face with no mercy and my glasses ( along with my eyes ) started to water.

It was a weird time to be philosophical, but then philosophy itself is weird at so many levels. The optimist inside me kicked up and for once, the conditions did not matter. I had a great family, a decent job and awesome friends to hang out with.
I looked at the entourage of cars zooming by and noticed that all the people looked at me with a sense of bewilderment. I don't blame them, a guy wearing a business suit and gelled up hair walking in the cold makes for an interesting viewing.

Halfway down the road, something funny happened to my ears.


Scene 3:

It began with an eerie hollowness enveloping my generously wide ear canals. But the end was near, I had almost made it. Somehow, wishful thinking was no longer as soothing as before. I hastened my pace and undoubtedly looked more peculiar. Only this time, my brain was too busy processing the inordinate pain to care.
And then, when I was almost at the cusp of howling out my miserable state to all and sundry, the marathon ended. I made it to the safety of my office. The hollowness of my ear canals phased out into something warm.

Peace had come to earth. Or so I thought. Suddenly, my friend barged in and exclaimed " Howdy, Howdy, how are ya doin ? " My face had three vertical columns of thin ice swiftly melting into water and I was flushing red.
His radiating countenance transformed into an admonishing stare and out came the words which were secretly tormenting me the whole walk : " Why didn't you give me a call? "


All in all, a very interesting start to my week.

2 comments:

  1. Love your writing style! Waiting to hear what happened next! keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rofl...all of this written on a sunday...it's funny how u remembered what happened a week and a couple of bottles of whiskey and whatnot before! :P

    ReplyDelete